Revisiting mime-types and file extensions

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Jun 20 12:25:56 EDT 2007

Le 2007-06-20 à 5:51, Thomas Nichols a écrit :

> Having a mime type of 'text/x-markdown' and a profile URI

> declared by the author of the language grammar (e.g.

> "http://maruku.org/0.5") seems an economical solution, and would

> follow

> the pattern for [XML namespaces][xml-namespaces], Java JAXP feature

> URIs[jaxp-features] and [OpenID identifiers][openid]

All these need a unique identifier to work anywhere, ensuring that
authors will create the unique identifier. Not the case with
Markdown: anyone can create his own version without creating a
corresponding unique identifier. If a downstream developer, someone
else than the original author, needs an identifier and decide to
create one, nothing ensure others will use the same identifier; and
here goes the "unique" part of the identifier.

Beside, what does the identifier corresponds to anyway? A specific
implementation? A particular syntax? One version of that
implementation or that syntax or all of them? I can't really figure
out right now: how many "unique" identifiers are needed and how are
each going to be used?

> Any suggested changes to this? Michel, would you care to propose a URI

> for Markdown Extra, should anyone decide they'd like to use one?

I'm still not sure using URLs for this is worthy, but if someone
wants a reference URL for Markdown Extra, I'd suggest using this:

http://michelf.com/ref/markdown-extra

I've put a small explanatory document at this address. If you need
versioning, here is what I suggest:

http://michelf.com/ref/markdown-extra#v1.0
http://michelf.com/ref/markdown-extra#v1.1

These are the two points at which PHP Markdown Extra changed its
syntax specification (besides beta versions) to accomodate new features.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/