Make --html4tags the default?

Shawn Medero soypunk at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:17:46 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Allan Odgaard <29mtuz102 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> Seeing how no-one should send application/xhtml+xml to the browser

> [1], and development of the HTML standard is again happening [2], it

> would make sense to have Markdown.pl default to HTML tags.

One problem with this is... I don't have hard numbers but I'm guessing
like 90% of CMS systems that support plugins like Markdown are XHTML
based and few them offer a toggle to switch between XHTML or HTML
markup. Markdown usage is primarily as a plugin to a CMS.

To make Wordpress HTML 4.01 compliant you have to roll your sleeves up
and alter the source code.

I went through PHP Markdown's source and there's a config option at
the top of the file:

# Change to ">" for HTML output
define( 'MARKDOWN_EMPTY_ELEMENT_SUFFIX', " />");

-s