First Markdownify Beta released

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Oct 8 02:17:19 EDT 2007

Hi folks!

I finally released the first Beta of Markdownify - the HTML to Markdown
converter for PHP. It is the successor to the old `html2text.php` and is much
more stable. It's pretty much a complete rewrite and supports all Markdown
and PHP Markdown Extra syntax features.

It's beta since I still have to add a word wrapping feature and "Markdown
inside block elements" is not yet working for PHP Markdown Extra.

If you want to try it, just download the beta package from here:
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=204915>

This package only contains three classes:

1. `parsehtml.php`: a HTML parser I wrote
2. `markdownify.php`: the Markdownify Class for standard Markdown syntax
3. `markdownify_extra.php`: the analogous class for PHP Markdown Extra syntax

How to use Markdown can be read on it's website:
<http://milianw.de/projects/markdownify/>

There's also a little demo page which highlights differences:
<http://milianw.de/projects/markdownify/demo.php>

If you want to get more into development or if you want to convince yourself
of it's stability I urge you to checkout the sourcecode via SVN:
<http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=204915>

Most notably you will want `trunk/markdownify` and `trunk/test`. Then go to
the test folder (CLI!) and e.g. run the following:

./regressions.sh

For Markdownify Extra run:

./regressions.sh --extra

For a quick overview run (`--extra` is optional):

./regressions.sh --profile [--extra]

If you want to try a given testcase use `test.php` with the options above and
those below:

--suite [1|2|3] which test suite to use, defaults to 1
1: Markdown
2: PHP Markdown
3: PHP Markdown Extra
--test "NAME" try testcase "NAME" (without `.text` or `.(x)html`)
--show INT show testcase number INT

Those should be the most important parameters. I'll add a `--help` argument
today.

So happy hacking! If you could, please do a code review and send me patches or
just notify me of glitches! Also any bugs etc. would most appreciated on the
tracker:
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=204915>

Have fun, I'm off to my first day at university ;-)
--
Milian Wolff
http://milianw.de