forking Markdown.pl?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu Feb 28 12:34:00 EST 2008

On 27 Feb 2008, at 23:36, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:

> As many of you know, when a piece of open-source software languishes

> with bugs for 3 years it's often forked Markdown.pl is licensed under

> the BSD license. (do `>tail -35 /path/to/Markdown.pl`)

> Has anyone thought of forking and maintaining Markdown.pl (hopefully

> with Gruber's blessing) to fix some of the known bugs?

> I'm not volunteering (I'd be horrible)... just seeing if it's time to

> have that discussion.

I'm actively maintaining the CPAN modules Text::Markdown, and
Text::MultiMarkdown, and longer term, I'd like these to become the
canonical distribution.

I pass all of John's latest test suite, and all of Fletcher's
MultiMarkdown test suite + I've fixed a number of other bugs as I go
along. I'm also part way through re-writing the list parser (as it's
one of the hardest cases), and plan to end up with a 'proper' parser
that gives you a parse tree, and is pluggable.

I don't actually, however, provide a Markdown.pl script wrapper in
the distribution - but if there is call for me to, I can trivially
(it was somewhere in my Todo list anyway).

I've seemingly got a number of active projects using the code,
including the Catalyst (perl web framework) guys who are building
their new wiki against it (http://catwiki.toeat.com)

http://search.cpan.org/~bobtfish/Text-Markdown-1.0.16/lib/Text/
Markdown.pm

I'd like to get to a point where I'm a little more happy with the
code, and then I'll start promoting this as a 'true' fork, or, if I
can get John to agree and approve - I'd like to become the 'official'
maintained version which is linked from daringfireball.

If anyone wants to pitch in and help with anything I'm doing /
contribute to building a more formal syntax description etc, then I'm
more than willing to take patches and/or hand out commit bits to the
SVN repos where I'm keeping all the branches / development versions...

Cheers
Tom