evolving the spec (was: forking Markdown.pl?)

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 15:28:59 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Yuri Takhteyev <qaramazov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, except that people use it for blogs and wikis and they need some

> of those extra features, and if we don't agree on some of them (like

> definition lists and tables) then we end up with a hundred different

> ways of doing the same thing. E.g., as was discussed a few weeks ago,

> markdown's handling of code block is nice if you are editing your text

> in an editor that supports block indentation, but is quite

> disfunctional if you are doing it in a web form, especially if most of

> your content is snippets of code. We talked about this, and what now?

> Some people might go and implement an extension for {{{...}}} for

> their favourite implementation. Others will go and implement

> something else.

So, as a policy person, what I haven't seen is a proposal for making
decisions about all of this stuff. What say you mardkown-discuss?
Should we have a council of implementation maintainers? Yikes.
Probably not. What about an IETF-like "rough consensus and running
code/spec/etc." model? best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley School of Information