mkhtml.py: writing HTML documents in Markdown

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 22:34:30 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

> [Note to markdown-discuss readers: for context see

> <http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-hacks/2008-June/000488.html>]

> * Kragen Javier Sitaker <kragen at pobox.com> [2008-06-07 09:40]:

>> Stylesheeting comes naturally. I just put a `<style>` element

>> at the top with a few lines inside of it to format nicely.

> Note that Markdown ends up wrapping `<link>` and `<style>`

> in `<p>` tags, arguably erroneously. Weirdly, it looks like

> Python-Markdown should avoid that mistake:

Well, first of all, he's using an old version of Python-Markdown. The
first line of his `render` function gives it away (due to the change
in 1.7 to all-unicode -- you generally don't pass unicode text to
str())

body = str(markdown.Markdown(text))

Just use the wrapper (all lowercase in any version):

body = markdown.markdown(text)

IIRC, there was a bugfix in 1.7 that also addressed the raw html
wrapped in <p> tags thing. So, upgrade to 1.7 and that problem should
go away.

--
----
Waylan Limberg