on the philosophical aspects of a specification

Bowerbird at aol.com Bowerbird at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 00:55:53 EST 2008

a specification will _eventually_ be used, by someone,
to tell the user they are doing things "wrong", won't it?

and doesn't that turn markdown's genesis upside-down?
heck, next thing you know we'll be telling them to r.t.f.m.

i would prefer that implementers get more sophisticated
about teasing out the user's intent in "ambiguous" cases.

of course, i've always been suspicious of "specifications",
since many technoids think the job is finished once the
spec is "all done", before one line has been programmed;
give me _working_code_ any day of the week, thank you...

just a remark, intended to stir thought, _not_ a debate...
(please do reply if you must; i'll refrain from responding.)

-bowerbird

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)