on the philosophical aspects of a specification

david parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Wed Mar 5 11:10:44 EST 2008

In article <47CEBB51.6010003 at idirect.ca>,
Seumas Mac Uilleachan <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net> wrote:

> Currently (which is strange)

>the first line in my example has three spaces and is a first level list.

>The next line has only two but becomes a **second level** list.

I believe that the markdown you're using is being overly aggressive
when doing the prefix matching for "next item in list", and it's only
matching if the indent is exactly the indent of the current list item.
And 2 != 3. That's *really* bizarre.

On the bright side, that sort of musical indentation is pretty close
to unreadable, so the bizarre reformatting of the list is a good way
to encourage cleanup of the source text.

-david parsons