on the philosophical aspects of a specification

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 5 11:41:52 EST 2008

> A list item's parent is the most recent list item whose bullet is indented

> less than its own. If there's no such parent, then the item belongs to a

> root-level list.

> http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2008-March/001076.html

> Is there any case where this doesn't do the right thing?

I think this is a good proposal. The only case I can think of where
it gives intuitively wrong results is this (which involves roman
numerals, not currently supported in core Markdown, though they are in
Pandoc):

i. one
ii. two
iii. three
iv. four
v. five

But, on balance, I think this proposal is the best I've seen --
certainly better than expecting users to know the four-space indent
rule.

John