on the philosophical aspects of a specification

david parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Wed Mar 5 21:51:08 EST 2008

In article <DA0F6FC9-95D9-47C6-A970-6ACC0A6FD91B at attacklab.net>,
John Fraser <markdown-discuss at six.pairlist.net> wrote:

>On Mar 5, 2008, at 2:38 PM, david parsons wrote:

>> When I write a really long list,

>> * sometimes, after a particularly long and

>> detailed list item, I'll lose track of the

>> exact indentation and

>> * add one too many spaces to the leading

>> indent.

>> so it would be bad if that broke nesting.

>Good point. But Markdown's indentation rules are a mess,

They are? I find some of the blocking rules somewhat infuriating
(that paragraphs are greedier at root level than they are inside
a list or quote) but a 4-space indent seems quite natural to me.

The attempts to reform list indentation by restricting the definition
of a list item seem like they'd cause more of a mess than they would
otherwise. I use lists all over the place, and I don't really want
to have to go back in and correct them all because a v2 spec corrected
markdown to the point where previously correct markup became incorrect.
(I get to deal with that all the time with gcc and their flexible
interpretation of the C programming language; I don't want to do it
with things I do for fun, not money.)

-david parsons