HTML5's audio/video and Markdown

Shawn Medero soypunk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:10:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Aslak Raanes <aslakr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any toughts on how one should be using <video> &

> <audio> with Markdown? Using the link or the img syntax?

> Maybe:

> [a film](film.m4v)

> [an audio](audio.mp3)

> could create:

> video>

> audio>

I think you would need the same approach Markdown takes with images
today - a unique syntax structure. Overloading one syntax structure
(<object>) to support multiple complex mime-types is very tricky and
it is one of the main reasons why HTML 5 has new elements for audio &
video.

(Of course this is also one of the most argued over parts of the HTML
5 spec but I've yet to see any proposal for fixing the gigantic mess
that <object> has left us with.)

-s