[ANN] Babelmark

Yuri Takhteyev qaramazov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 13:57:39 EDT 2008

This is a great tool. It won't solve all of our problems by itself
(we still need a spec), but I think it will help a great deal if we
want to try to bring all the implementations into agreement.

Some of my tests that show interesting differences:

<%foo ok %>: http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=%3C%25foo+ok+%25%3E

(BTW, where does one get Markdown.pl 1.0.2 beta? Markdown website
says that the last version is 1.0.1, of 2004.)

foo_bar_bas: http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=foo_bar_bas

2-tier list indented by three spaces:
http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=*+what%27s+up%3F%0D%0A+++*+ok

Now, on this one, I must say I have mixed feelings, since
python-markdown is the only implementation that follows "Markdown
Syntax" and treats the item indented by three spaces as being at the
same level. Makes me feel like a naive fool for following the "spec".

:)

One more thing: python-markdown is a stickler for explicit encoding
(because we rely on it for bidi-detection). The input must be either
python Unicode object or UTF8 encoded byte-string or you must say what
encoding you are using. Your test doesn't seems to send something
other than UTF8 without specifying encoding.

http://michelf.com/projects/babelmark/?markdown=_%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%92%D8%B9%D9%8E%D8%B1%D9%8E%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%91%D8%A9_+

Should we start a page on the wiki to collect those examples so that
we can then discuss what ought to be done in each case?

- yuri

--
http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/