Fenced-Code-Blocks in Python-Markdown

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon May 12 07:16:12 EDT 2008

Le 2008-05-12 à 1:01, Waylan Limberg a écrit :

> I'd like to announce a beta release of the Fenced-Code-Blocks

> Extension for Python-Markdown.

> <http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/Available_Extensions

Wow, that was fast! :-)

There is one particularity in my implementation I think you've missed
though (which is not surprising given I haven't mentioned it anywhere,
yet). It touches the output when there are leading blank lines.

If you try this in various browsers:

<pre>
</pre>

You'll notice, when serving the file as text/html, that the first
newline is lost. When parsing the file as XML, it stays there however.
If you then add:

<pre><code>
</code></pre>

you'll then notice that the first line is there in Gecko, but still
lost with Web Kit. So basically, you can't just add newlines at the
start of a code block and expect it to work.

PHP Markdown Extra's output when you have a leading newline is as such:

</code></pre>

which solves the situation in both Safari and Gecko-based browsers
(haven't tested in others). If you have two leading newlines, then
you'll get two <br />s, etc.

> The same syntax is used as the just released PHP Markdown Extra 1.2. I

> did add the option to define a class on the block for language

> identification. Here's an example:

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~{.html}

> Becomes:

> <pre><code class="html">&lt;p&gt;Hello World!&lt;/p&gt;

> </code></pre>

While it has been suggested some time ago that {.class-name} stand for
a class attribute applied to an arbitrary element, I'm wondering if we
can't do something better than that for code blocks.

I'm currently thinking of allowing the following, which I find more
appealing visually:

> Unfortunately, including the class

> definition makes PHP Markdown Extra fail to match the block. Consider

> yourself warned.

Indeed.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com