Fenced-Code-Blocks in Python-Markdown

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon May 12 23:28:59 EDT 2008

Le 2008-05-12 à 9:02, Waylan Limberg a écrit :

>> I'm currently thinking of allowing the following, which I find more

>> appealing visually:

>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ .html

>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Actually, I had done it that way first. Then I went back and reviewed

> the previous discussions. Interestingly, I had originally made the

> case for having the label on the top, rather than the bottom. But

> after further thinking, I realized that my current implementation is

> consistent with the HeaderID syntax.

More or less. The header id syntax always puts the id value on the
first line. :-)

> Given the number of complaints we've been getting on the list

> recently about styling inconsistencies in the syntax, I figured that

> made for a stronger argument so I used curly brackets at the end. If

> the consensus is on something different, I can work with it.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the complains are about the
inconsistencies between different implementations of the syntax,
resulting, at least in part, of the lack of a precise and unambiguous
grammar.

In the example above, I try to think of the ".html" as a file
extension indicating the format of the code snippet and that using it
as a class name in the HTML representation is just coincidental. I
think it feels very natural that way.

I wouldn't recommend doing class names outside curly brakets in
general. Only here, it fits pretty nicely.

What do other people think?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/