list corner case

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:12:54 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:

> Any inferred nesting would have to subordinate them to an implied

> 3rd item in the surrounding unordered list that is not written

> out in these examples – semantically equivalent roughly to this:

> - foo

> - bar

> -

> 1. baz

> 1. quux

> - qux

Not necessarily. Take the following example (with 4 spaces before item "two"):

- one
2. two

With the exception of Maruku (which falls flat on it's face here),
every implementation consistently renders this:

<ul>
<li>one <ol>
<li>two</li>
</ol>
</li>
</ul>

While I hate to deflate any argument against option B, the fact is,
there doesn't have to be any "implied 3rd item in the surrounding
unordered list". However, without the indentation, I don't think it's
clear to the casual reader that that should be a nested ordered list -
which I've already discussed in my previous comment.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com