list corner case

Albert Skye mistlail at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 14:22:31 EDT 2008

>> Markdown syntax presents a strong pattern of using blank lines

>> to separate elements.

> > Does it?

> > I hadn’t noticed.

Good call, thank you; having concluded long ago that blank-line separation for block elements is it a good idea, I had forgotten that most implementations* were so lax about it. In any case, (b) still seems the most useful behaviour to me.

* It seems ironic to follow the details of an informal and neglected implementation (i.e., Markdown.pl), rather than the spirit of the documentation. If you all want a formal (i.e., consistent) standard then you should define it yourselves because John Gruber is clearly not interested, and poring over the details of his implementation/documentation is not likely to yield one.