homemade fn marker weirdness...

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Thu May 7 19:12:21 EDT 2009

Ok, Now I'm confused. I have to jump through hoops to get markdown to WORK
between <div> and </div>
And here it's working between <sup> and </sub> when it's not wanted.

* is overloaded.

1. * is a list indicator.
2. * is an emphasis indicator.
3. * when followed by * * is a ruler indicator.

Normally I would think that a * at the end of block of text without an
opening * to be a footnote indicator..

Thus
*this* becomes <em>this</em>
But
this and that* is printed verbatim.

Now sup and sub are normally short range tags -- you expect the close to be
nearby. So I would also expect that if you've inserted them, you should be
willing to
take over from markdown for the duration. So I'd expect

(And I still wish that _ and * were orthoganol and independent. How do I
strongly emphasise something.)

I'm beginning to think that markdown has it backward in some respects:

My limited understanding is that it is nominally inactive inside structural
(div, html, body) and block (table, code, pre, quote ...) and
active in inline tags (span, tr, td, sup, sub, em, strong ...)

I'll admit I've never used sup and sub

Most of the time MD does exactly what I want. sometimes I can't do it in MD
(float a picture and it's caption right) and I have to put html in. My
current system the only time I need to do that is for DIV. But I could see
merit in having either a commandline option or an .rc file option to tell MD
what tags to work inside, and what not.

(for superscript I can see merit in using ^ notation but I can't think of a
good equivalent for sub. And ideally ^ could be closed by either another ^
or by a space.

Thus: (x + y)^3 = x^3 + 2x^2^y + 2xy^2 + y^3

Ok. Lambast me with 27 counter examples of how wrong I am. I can take it.
I won't cry. (much.)

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Yuri Takhteyev <qaramazov at gmail.com>

> wrote:

> > HTML tags are essentially getting ignored (as they should), so what

> > you really have is:

> > blah * blah blah blah blah blah *certification* of blah blah.

> Thus, if you do not want one of those *'s to be part of an em, you

> need to escape it.

> <sup>\*</sup>blah *blah* blah

> http://babelmark.bobtfish.net/?markdown=<sup>\*<%2Fsup>blah+*blah*+blah

> --