multiline header

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 01:32:06 EST 2010

Hi Alexandre,

* Alexandre Leray <alexandre at alexandreleray.com> [2010-03-01 22:35]:

> I have a document with quite long titles and I was wondering if

> it was possible to hard-break them:

> e.g.:

> This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry long title

> would be

> This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry

> long title

> ==========

> Right now it produces two <h1/> tags.

you could always fall back on HTML:

<h1>This is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry
long title</h1>

If you need inline formatting inside the header, then hopefully
your implementation supports the `markdown` pseudo-attribute:

<h1 markdown=1>This is a very, very, very, *very*
long title</h1>

* Waylan Limberg <waylan at gmail.com> [2010-03-02 00:05]:

> And that's the problem, lazy authors have been relying on the

> existing behavior for so long that changing it now could break

> thousands of existing documents.

This sort of laziness seems like a design goal of Markdown, not
a bug in its users.

* Tim Visher <tim.visher at gmail.com> [2010-03-02 02:30]:

> If you're desperate for a multi-line header in markdown, you

> have a few options.

> 1. Use Non-semantic markup directly in the document:

> <h1>This is line one of a<br />

> very long header!</h1>

> That's not recommended simply on the grounds of it not being

> semantic and no one likes non-semantic markup. ;)

Non-semantic, says who?

More importantly, the problem was not to display a header across
two lines in the rendered document, it was being able to write
the header across several lines in the source document (and still
have a single tag in the rendered document), so your solutions
aren’t.

Regards,