Video syntax

david parsons orc at pell.portland.or.us
Wed Sep 15 14:05:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:33:49AM +1200, David Chambers wrote:

> I'm planning to update Mango <http://mango.io/wtf?> to facilitate adding

> video to Markdown documents. At the moment, of course, it's possible to

> include video by including the appropriate HTML. There are three reasons,

> though, that having syntax (official or unofficial) for video is a good

> idea:

> - *Simplicity.* Writing something like [youtube:gPbh6Ru7VVM] is easy.

> Including half a dozen lines of HTML is much less so.

I don't know if it's feasable until a standard way of doing video
emerges and the video-station websites start following it. A html5
<video> block is lovely, but it's not very useful until the bulk of
the web world can deal with it without complaint.

> My question is, *has anyone given thought to an appropriate syntax for video

> in Markdown?*

Sure. We've got the framework for it:

[text](object:[content-type:]url [=size] ['comment'])

And then you can do something like

[![no support for this content here](sorry.gif)](video:x-shockwave-flash:http://www.youtube.com/v/oFHSZLIOLZs =425x328 'this may not be terse, but at least it's not naked html')

[Honk!](audio:/~orc/klaxon.wav)

without introducing (another form of) ascii spaghetti to the language.

-david parsons