Universal syntax for Markdown

Alan Hogan alanhogan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:49:41 EDT 2011

Fletcher, thank you for your reply, and for all your work on MMD.

I think the vision you just outlined is one I agree with completely.

On Aug 10, 2011, at 6:40 PM, Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

> All this said, however, I think an important consideration for this discussion is:

> What benefit do the authors of current Markdown variants gain from the effort required to agree on a standard?

Here's one: The freedom to use "your" Markdown in more places than ever. If "Markdown 2.0" is implemented consistently in a range of languages, then look what happens. You can eventually use the same exact documents that you wrote for use in your own implementation in all these places:

1. GitHub wikis
2. WordPress blogs
3. On your computer, with QuickLook support
4. In your Ruby on Rails or Django or PHP application
5. On your mobile phone
6. As an archival format -- current Markdown variants are largely not guaranteed to work years into the future the way that core Markdown or "Markdown 2.0" would
7. For conversion into other formats
8. ...

Now that would be something.

Alan