Help with Error: POSIX collating elements are not supported

Doug Heavrin-Brown doughb at umich.edu
Wed Dec 14 15:50:32 EST 2011

Hello everyone. Thank you for your responses.

I actually was able to fix the problem we had by deleting lines 952-955 from
the Markdown script. That fixed the unordered lists on the website, and
stopped the error messages on the server. (We first tried replacing our 2004
version with a 2009 version, but that didn't work. So we did start with an
unmodified version of the markdown.php file.)

Lines 952-955 were part of the "Re-usable pattern to match any entire ul or
ol list" (the $whole_list_re variable) and contained:

(?! # Negative lookahead for another list item marker
[ ]*
'.$marker_re.'[ ]+
)

I had tried simply commenting out those lines, but that didn't work. I had
to remove them completely. I think that might affect any nested lists, but I
don't think we have any on this site, so we're fine with that.

I'll try escaping the dot characters in the original script when I have more
time.

Thank you again,

Doug