writing tools that use light-markup

Alan Hogan contact at alanhogan.com
Thu Jul 7 16:33:01 EDT 2011

I personally worked on Simplenote’s web app’s integration of Markdown, and would be remiss not to mention that.

It is light as an editor, with only tab key support keeping it ahead of a plain vanilla text editor. But your documents can be previewed nearly instantly. (You must mark the note as Markdown formatted via the Note Info dialog first.)

http://simplenoteapp.com/

Two other neat things about it:

1. You can publish your note publicly (URLs like http://simp.ly/publish/<random>), and Markdown-formatted notes are published as HTML. Kind of a lightweight way to publish & update a web page.

2. Simplenote of course syncs with iOS so said notes can be edited on the go. However the iOS client does not support Markdown preview.

Simplenote’s Markdown supports loads of the “Extra” syntax, thanks to markdown-python.

(Note you must register to use the editor.)
Alan Hogan

http://blogic.com
contact at alanhogan.com