Proposed table specification (long!)

tycho garen garen at tychoish.com
Sun Jun 5 10:44:30 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:28:53PM +0200, Chinyoka on Macbook wrote:

> I am also wondering whether there would be a way to split a document

> into many pages. I checked with other Markdown implementations and

> wish they would have a way to split a document into pages: for

> instance, Cramdown looked like it could if Thomas wanted to make it

> one of those options you can put between those sharp brackets and

> colons.

I take the view that markdown is really a text processing filter
rather than a publishing solution, so this feels very out of
scope. Perhaps something like emacs muse-mode (which I think has some
limited markdown functionality,) or just "the right Makefile" could do
the processing you want to get multi-page output. In short: it's a
good feature but enough depends on the rest of your publishing
process/solution, so look there.

> Currently, I am using PHP Markdown Extra for my web publishing, but

> want a solid desktop option. I sometimes wish there were a desktop

> version, whether command line or GUI, that would work like that PHP

> Markdown Extra. So I hope your solution may be the answer to this.

> Anyway, it looks like Markdown in 2011 is heading for exciting

> moments with or without Gruber's blessing.

I used PHP Markdown Extra for years with a WordPress site. When I
stopped that, I had a bunch of vanilla markdown with footnotes (and
maybe images?) in the markdown extra. I continue to write text in the
same way, and have been processing this text both on the web and
locally using: Maruku (abandoned for speed reasons, but it's good for
LaTeX conversions and one-offs,) and MultiMarkdown pretty much without
error. I'm given to understand that python markdown and pandoc would
also do what you want in terms of the extra syntax...

Hope that helps,

tycho

--
tycho(ish) @
garen at tychoish.com
http://tychoish.com/
http://criticalfutures.com/
"don't get it right, get it written" -- james thurber