`time` element syntax

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 21:57:32 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM, David Chambers
<david.chambers.05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

>> I'd tend to go for something even simpler:

>>        Some text 30 May 2011 more text.

>>        *[30 May 2011]: 2011-05-30 15:00 -07:00

>> Basically, why do we need to force brackets in the text at all? Also, why

>> force the writer to use 'T' as a time separator and strictly follow to the

>> rules of HTML date syntax? It's much more readable without the 'T'.

>> Reformatting it to HTML's liking should be pretty trivial.

> I love this idea. I'm unfamiliar with PHP Markdown Extra's abbreviation

> syntax (I'll read up on it); building upon an established convention sounds

> very sensible to me.

I'll have to say I like this as well. It hadn't occurred to me that
like the abbreviation syntax, we don't need to mark up the text at
all.

Regarding the time v. datetime, I picked datetime because that is the
name of the html attribute the same value would be assigned to. But
time is certainly shorter. Maybe you won't need either as Michel
suggests.

--
----