Spaces following quotes disappear

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:50:09 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Rick Charon <rickcharon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a line that includes a double quotation mark followed by 5 spaces,

> and then some text, like so:

> "     global"

> when it is converted with markdown, the spaces disappear, so it results in

> "global"

> Is there a way to keep these spaces in there?

Not sure which Markdown implementation your using, but most retain all
the spaces and a few retain at least one. See babelmark [1].

The thing is, in HTML whitespace is insignificant. In other words, any
more than a single space gets collapsed. So while the few
implementations which only retain one space could arguably be wrong,
it doesn't matter when the document is viewed in the browser. Every
implementation will look the same.

If you want to retain whitespace, you have 2 options: wrap your text
in <pre> tags (put it in a code block), or use non-breaking spaces
(&nbsp;)

[1]: http://babelmark.bobtfish.net/?markdown=%22+++++global%22

--
----