Proposed table specification (long!)

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed May 11 10:02:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Simon Bull wrote:

> Thanks for your comments Michel.

> Regarding complexity:

> It is not clear to me whether folks are objecting to _parsing_ complexity or

> *reading/writing* complexity. Subjectively I don't think the example is

> difficult to read; it couldn't be much simpler. So I will assume that

> people are concerned about parsing complexity. On this I cannot comment

> except to say that I believe reading/writing considerations should drive the

> specification which should drive the implementation. Implementation

> considerations should not drive the formulation of the specification except

> where some absolute technical limitation dictates otherwise.

> Regarding spacing:

> Firstly may I say that I do believe good spacing is good practice for

> tables.

> >From my original post...

> >It is the _visual alignment_ of terms into rows and columns that enables a

> reader to recognise a table.

> >Without any recognisable alignment, a reader sees a jumbled "cloud" of

> terms

> "good" doesn't have to mean "perfect", however.

> Secondly, as an author I take pride in producing beautiful documents. If a

> document looks a mess then the author looks careless, lazy and less

> credible. Additionally, from JG's introduction at Daring Fireball:

> >The overriding design goal for Markdown’s formatting syntax is to make it

> as readable as possible.

> >The idea is that a Markdown-formatted document should be publishable as-is,

> as plain text,

> A markdown document should be *publishable* _as-is_. Wobbly mis-aligned

> tables do not make publishable documents in any profession as far as I know.

> Regarding ease of editing :

> The difficult with inserting text into a column is a general problem with

> text editing tools and table formats in general. It is not a specific

> problem with the proposed table syntax. Moreover, various text editors do

> support a "block" or "column" select feature which enables the author to

> select, copy, cut and paste columns (or blocks) of text. This editor

> feature facilitates exactly the kind of operation you mentioned.

> That aside, the proposed table syntax supports a more trivial (lazy) method

> of inserting text into the middle of a column in a few seconds, like this:

> Before:

> People Homeland Tongue

> ====================================

> Elves Rivendell, Quenya,

> Mirkwood, Sindarin,

> Lorien Nandorin

> Dwarves Erebor Khuzdul

> Hobbits The Shire, Westron

> Breeland

> After:

> People Homeland Tongue

> ====================================

> Elves Rivendell, Quenya,

> Telerin, <--- inserted text

> Mirkwood, Sindarin,

> Lorien Nandorin

> Dwarves Erebor Khuzdul

> [...]

I want to go on record as a strong supporter of your efforts. Your
willingness to consult your peers with this brain-storming effort does
you credit! However, IMHO, at the end of the day, you must follow your
intuition and good sense after taking all informed and uninformed
opinions into consideration. I like your proposal! It will be
interesting to use your proposal in due course.

--
Duke Normandin
Turner Valley, Alberta, Canada