doesn't that make you wonder?

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:33:10 EDT 2011

+++ Emmanuel Bégué [Oct 19 11 12:04 ]:

> But it's also not certain that the official approach would solve all

> problems. The first example you gave (*test **test* test**) is

> "invalid Markdown" and a formal specification could very well decide

I don't think there's any such thing as "invalid Markdown."
At any rate, the syntax description does not define anything as
"invalid". And markdown processors (at least those that I'm
familiar with) don't ever give you an "invalid markdown" error.

But if you don't like that example, consider this one:

***hello***

Should this be

or

Nothing in the spec settles that. This is just one of many, many
examples one can come up with by considering precedence ambiguities.