paragraph inconsistency

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Sep 16 19:03:36 EDT 2011

Le 2011-09-16 à 12:50, Koen H a écrit :

> I was looking at the PHP Markdown tests and noticed that

> paragraph

>> some quote

> was rendered as a paragraph with a blockquote following it. And

> paragraph

> #header

> should be rendered as a paragraph with a header following it. But then

> paragraph

> * ciao

> should be rendered as one paragraph? From the first two I would expect

> it to be a paragraph and a list.

> Is there a rule or some reasoning behind this?

You see, I could be writing something about the iPad
2. And if Markdown treated all lines that begin with
a list marker as a list item, then this text would
be inside a list item.

John Gruber decided a long time ago that to solve
this problem, lists (both ordered an unordered ones)
needed a blank line before them. This only applies
to the root level:

1. This is a list item
* This is a nested list item

--