pre in lists

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Thu Aug 16 23:24:43 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Boris Le Ninivin
<boris.leninivin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/16/2012 02:43 PM, Rob McBroom wrote:

>> On Aug 16, 2012, at 5:45 AM, Boris Le Ninivin <boris.leninivin at gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>>> When I try to use the code block syntax in a list, i.e :

>>> 1. some text

>>> 2. some code :

>>> My first line of code

>>> The second one

>>> Some indented code

>>> Another line

>>> 3. end of the list

>>> it doesn't work. Yet it appears that the syntax is valid (I checked on

>>> the w3 validator). I would need that functionality. Would it be possible to

>>> improve the markdown parser by adding it ?

>> Code blocks in list items need to be indented 8 spaces instead of 4, and

>> (for some implementations anyway) there needs to be an empty line before the

>> first line of code. I think that's documented somewhere, but I'm too lazy to

>> check.

> Well, the implementation I user (ikiwiki) doesn't support that, so I use :

> 1. some text

> 2. some code :

> `My first line of code`

> `The second one`

>> `Some indented code`

>> `Another line`

> 3. end of the list

> My problem now is that when I want to add a not after the blockquote, either

> it's a the SAME level as the blockquote:

> 1. some text

> 2. some code :

> `My first line of code`

> `The second one`

>> `Some indented code`

>> `Another line`

> (note)

> 3. end of the list

> or it breaks the list:

> 1. some text

> 2. some code :

> `My first line of code`

> `The second one`

>> `Some indented code`

>> `Another line`

> (note)

> 3. end of the list

> Do you have an idea on how to do that ?

Relying on indentation for code blocks will disappoint you endlessly.
Better to use a transformer that supports fenced code blocks. Run this
through kramdown [1] (exclude the dashed lines):

--------------------------------
1. some text

2. some code:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My first line of code
The second one
Some indented code
Another line
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. end of the list
--------------------------------

Something like `kramdown test.txt > test.html`

Works the way you intend. You'll get paragraphs within the list items
but, arguably, you want them, or eventually will. IIRC, PHP Markdown
Extra [2] handles this similarly.

HTH

LQ

[1]: http://kramdown.rubyforge.org/