standalone markdown

Thomas Humiston tom at jumpingrock.net
Thu Dec 13 17:55:15 EST 2012

I put a copy of the basic perl script in TextWrangler's 'Unix filters' folder*, renamed it as 'Convert Markdown to HTML.pl', and assigned it a keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-H.

So, when I type Markdown-style text** in TextWrangler and hit Ctrl-H, it immediately converts to HTML. If I have selected a portion of the text, only that portion gets converted; otherwise everything. No server involved. And subject to Undo.

In like manner, I use html2text.py (renamed as 'Convert HTML to Markdown.py' and assigned Ctrl-M) to convert in the other direction.

- Tom

*I'm using an old version of TextWranger, v3.5.1. I think in v4 this arrangement got changed; see the documentation.
**http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/