Definition list as image caption

Jakob JakoV at gmx.at
Sat Jun 23 10:06:25 EDT 2012

> Could we use the content of the title tag, or an extra caption field

> inside the img-markdown instead?

> ![alternative text](/img/nicetree.jpg "this is the title" {this could be

> the caption})

This could be usefull in some cases, but you point out yourself, that there is a solution with css. In my opinion the "title" attribute is mostly useless and stupid, as it leads to [Mystery meat navigation](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_meat_navigation), which sucks!

I think the `<figure>` element is a good example for a semantic element. I think it should be used; and I think it should therefore be implemented into Markdown.

If you read the article about the [figure] element, you will soon find out, that it is more than just the desription of an *image*. It can be used to describe *almost anything* that would not appear in flow text in a printed paper: e.g. tables, quotes, poems. Therefore you could even have a figure element describing a table that has a caption:

```
A. Mayers et al. reported an increase in cases of *some disease* in the early 1990s ...

|+ incidence +|

| year | cases |

|-----:|--------:|

| 1990 | 123,456 |

| 1991 | 654,321 |

! **Incidence of some disease:** The numbers show, that in the year 1991 there was a strange increase of cases, blah blah blah

Due to the lack of therapy, R. Ronald et al suggested another palliative treatment ...

![some disease image](http://example.com/img.jpg)
! **Some disease in a male patient**: See the *red* pustula, that explode when touched.
```

[figure]: http://html5doctor.com/the-figure-figcaption-elements/

There already was a proposal to allow html tags in links, by just doing it like you do it in html: `[link]: http://example.com "title goes here" style="color:red"`. I think [Multimarkdown] implemented it, but i'm not sure.

[Multimarkdown]: https://github.com/fletcher/peg-multimarkdown