Definition list as image caption

Jakob jakov at gmx.at
Sat Jun 23 23:33:29 EDT 2012

Am 24.06.2012 um 01:36 schrieb Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com>:

> Le 2012-06-23 à 10:18, Jakob a écrit :

>>> Not at all. If we want to allow anything inside a figure element (as HTML5

>>> permits), then all we have to do is force the figure content to be

>>> indented. You could even nest figures that way.

>> *That's maybe even better!* So the syntax would be just the inversion of my proposal: Instead of figure => caption you have caption => figure. This makes a lot more sense.

>> However, would we still be able to have multi-paragraph captions?

> That would require a syntax with a recurring prefix. For instance, we could mimic how blockquotes work and use "]" as a prefix for captions:

> ] Figure 1: some big figure caption

> ]

> ] second paragraph of the caption

> ]

> ] > blockquote in the caption

> ]

> ] etc.

> ! Here goes the figure's content

> Indented by one tab

> But I fear this is complicating the syntax too much for something that is rarely needed. There's always HTML as a fallback if you really need this.

Yes, it shouldnt get too complicated. Just for the sake of understanding it: it would also be possible with a marker just once, right? So like

"
? multi

paragraph

caption
! Figure
"

This would also make it possible to decide weather the caption is supposed to be on top or below.

>>> Now, just make the leading "!" and indentation optional for an image and

>>> you get this:

>>> [[ Figure 1: A simple image ]]

>>> ![image_alt](image_url "image title")

>> The only problem with this would be that *every* image would get a figure. However i think `! ![image_alt](image_url "image title")` would do the job just fine: so only the indent would be optional.

> What I was proposing is that an image alone on its line and preceded by a caption would become a figure. Not every standalone images.

Oops, sorry, i wasnt clear enough. Of course i didn mean inline images, but it could lead to unexpected results if you have a "quasi inline image" at the end of a paragraph just due to line wrapping:

"
Here is my inline image
that i want to show you
and its by hazard at a break: