Trouble with parentheses in Markdown hyperlinks

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:03:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM, David Chambers
<david.chambers.05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Github has wikis for each project.

> Example: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki

> You'd only have to create a 'markdown' project, which needn't have

> anything in it but a README.markdown file with a link to the wiki.

> Anyone with a github account could edit the wiki.

> This seems far easier than any of the other proposals.

> I created the markdown account on GitHub some time ago. If there's support

> for John's suggestion, we could create a public repository in that account

> and use its wiki.

+1 from me.

There used to be an old wiki (I forget where) which lasted for some
years. But it died a slow death. First from lack of maintenance, then
from spam, then from being locked down to avoid the spam. No longer
being publicly editable was the last nail in its coffin. At least
that's the way I remember it.

The thing about github it that is has user management features to help
with spam, etc. (not that other wiki systems don't but...) David if
you make that user account an "organization" then if/when you ever
lose interest in or run out of time to maintain it, you can share with
or pass ownership off to any other github user - with no need to pass
off control of a hosting account or move it to a new hosting account
or transfer control of a domain ... and all the other relevant
headaches with that sort of thing.

Also, as a bonus, the default page url (using github pages) would be
markdown.github.com - which is even better that
github-flavored-markdown gets. Sure, that page wouldn't be as easily
editable as a wiki, but just make it static with general info and a
link to the wiki - or don't - use pull requests as moderated editing
of the github page. Trusted and frequent editors of the doc (and/or
implementation authors) could be given full editing privileges of the
underlying repo using there respective user accounts (which privileges
could still be revoked upon abuse).

For that matter, as an "organization", each implementation author
could host their implementation under markdown/[implementation_name].
Or if they don't want to, auto-updating mirrors could be added
(although, unfortunately, the auto-updating script would need to be
maintained externally). Great for one-stop shopping for all
implementations. I know I'd use it to browse markdown.pl's source -
rather than downloading the zip file.

--
----