[ANN] vfmd

Roopesh Chander roop at forwardbias.in
Mon Sep 30 09:16:24 EDT 2013

> Le 27-sept.-2013 à 11:15, Roopesh Chander <roop at forwardbias.in> a écrit :

> > - If the user is not mixing tabs and spaces, he should be fine

> > - If the user is mixing tabs and spaces, but has read the syntax guide

> > and follows it, he should be fine

Actually, I realized the above is not true when there's a list item with
multiple paragraphs. Using _ for tabs and . for spaces and assuming
4-column tabs, this is how it would appear to him in a text editor:

.*__item.1.para.1

.*__item.2.para.1

____para.2

So, even though they appear aligned (as required in the syntax), "para 2"
would not get identified as part of "item 2", which is incorrect. I don't
really have a solution however, because a solution would need tabstop as
input.

> I still miss how it is an improvement over current Markdown.

I don't think it's interpretation of tabs is an improvement over Markdown.
I realize that this problem cannot be solved without getting tabstop as an
input, and doing that is not an option.

It's not quite a conscious decision to be different - just doing something
arbitrarily, because doing the right thing is impossible. I'm open for
alternative options.

> It's true that you can't solve the

> issue of editors having different lengths for tabs, but you're already

picking four-space-per-tab

> so why do it differently from everyone else?

What is everybody else doing? Do you mean that everyone else is expanding
tabs while parsing using the "4-(column_number modulo 4)" method?

So, as far as I can see, these are the options:
1. Make it explicit in the syntax guide that tabs are not recommended.
Suggest using expandtab or such stuff.
2. Assume tabstop as 4 and expand the tabs when parsing using the
"4-(column_number
modulo 4)" method (atleast it would work for tab-users who have tabstop as
4, unlike the current always-4-expansion)
3. Do both the above

(Now that I think about it, I'm tending towards option #3, but I'll wait
for your opinions.)

roop.