text/markdown effort in IETF (invite)

Sreeharsha Mudivarti msreeharsha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:34:01 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM, John MacFarlane <jgm at berkeley.edu> :

> Here is some math: \\(e=mc^2\\).
>

> Here's my current list of extensions/variations (from the pandoc
> source code).  Of course, it's nowhere near exhaustive:
>
>      Ext_footnotes           -- ^ Pandoc/PHP/MMD style footnotes
>    | Ext_inline_notes        -- ^ Pandoc-style inline notes
>    | Ext_pandoc_title_block  -- ^ Pandoc title block
>    | Ext_yaml_metadata_block -- ^ YAML metadata block

As much as admirable pandoc is, testing that is difficult.

Given that features can nested, the combinations is easily greater
than the number of lines in

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/tests/Tests/Readers/Markdown.hs

Markdown is an over-loaded term. It is safe to say that,
there are at-least two useful Markdowns

1) Plain

    Useful for,

    * Non-technical publishing
    * Simple comment systems

( Markdown.pl )

2) Complete

    * DocBook / Latex style publishing
    * Editors

( MultiMarkdown )

A third type of Markdown can be labelled "Proprietary Markdown",
of which Github Markdown is a prime example.

Markdown implementations can give pre-processors and post-processors,
which can implement "Proprietary Extensions".

I don't understand why different things have to be conflated together.

If the IETF draft is from the perspective of publishing 1) can be ignored.