(text/markdown) link label vs. link identifier and last-one-wins

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Fri Oct 10 12:11:16 EDT 2014

Le 10-oct.-2014 à 11:56, Sean Leonard <dev+ietf at seantek.com> a écrit :

> On this basis, I am going to call it "link identifier". Questions?

It is called both a "label", an "identifier", and a "name" under the [link][] section of the syntax description on Daring Fireball. Choose as you like.

 [link]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#link

> Also, Markdown.pl seems to define last-wins behavior: the last link definition is indexed as the definition in $g_urls. (See _StripLinkDefinitions.) Older ones get overwritten by newer ones. Is this common or normative behavior? How do other implementations do it?

Well, it is not specified in the official documentation. You can always check on Babelmark 2 to see how various implementations are doing it:
<http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?normalize=1&text=%5Blink%5D%5B%5D%0A%0A%5Blink%5D%3A+1%0A%5Blink%5D%3A+2>

> It's important that I keep the original reference list short; I would rather not refer normatively to documents other than Gruber's own Markdown rules.

I don't understand what all this has to do with a spec for a MIME type.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca