SmartyPants and dashes

Waylan Limberg waylan.limberg at icloud.com
Tue Oct 28 19:45:44 EDT 2014

While Calibre does in fact use Python-Markdown, they do not use our
SmartyPants extension, which is relatively new. Instead they use the
standalone SmartyPants Python library [1] (see source here [2]) which uses
the same default as the original Perl implementation and has been around for
a long time. The Python library's documentation restates [3] the comments in
the Perl implementation.

Interestingly, that behavior is labeled as "oldschool"  **and** it is the
default. Probably kept the old behavior for backward compatibility. Don't
want to break all the old existing documents. Of course, new users can
override the defaults and start fresh with new documents using the behavior
that actually makes sense ("--" and "---" to en- and em-dash entities
respectively). That said, Calibre has been around for a long time and has a
pretty big user base, so I suppose it makes sense for them to stick with the
old behavior.

I think your confusion comes from the fact that the documentation doesn't
exactly make it clear that the "oldschool" behavior is the default. In fact,
the docs for the original Perl implementation don't even mention the
"oldschool" behavior, but the implementation clearly has support for it as
evidenced by the Dingus. In fact, I just noticed that the version available
for download [4] is 1.5.1 but the version used by the Dingus [5] is 1.6.0b6
(which is presumably newer). Why? Only J.G. can answer that. The good news
is that the implementation you care about (the one used by Calibre - which
you are using) is fully documented. So I would suggest using that
documentation for SmartyPants.

As an aside, when we reimplemented SmartyPants as a Python-Markdown
extension, we only implemented the newer behavior. We don't even offer the
option to revert to the "oldschool" behavior - unless you want to override
the relevant "Substitution Keys" manually (although we offer that
customization for another purpose - to support other languages which have
different rules than English).

I hope that helps clear things up a little.

Waylan Limberg

[1]: http://pythonhosted.org/smartypants/index.html

[2]:
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/blob/master/src/calibre/ebooks/convers