Re: It's a Markdown processor, right?

Andrei Fangli andrei_fangli at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 14:31:02 EDT 2014

Sean wrote:

> I am trying to use uniform terms. An implementation that converts

Markdown content to another format--most typically HTML--is called...a

Markdown processor, right?

I was focusing on naming the software that takes text in format A and outputs it in format B (yep, just that use case). The XML specifications define that a XML Processor is something that recognizes the structure of a XML Document, validates it and offers access to its content (e.g.: by tree traversal since XML is hierarchical in nature). A software that simply translates from format A to B only recognizes, validates the structure of the text in format A and outputs the content in format B. If we were to apply an analogous definition for a Markdown Processor then the access to content is lost because the initial document as a whole is outputted in format B without having the chance to peak at its content. In that case we cannot name that software a processor, it may use one internally to get the job done.

In the case of a software that allows visualisation of Markdown documents prior to translation/export, eventually allowing editing, indexing, word count, page count etc., I agree, that no longer can be called a translator because it does much more. That software falls well in the terms of a word processor (specialized for Markdown in this case) as pointed out, however I’m not sure that’s what Sean was asking.

This discussion is turning out quite interesting as parsers require a grammar in a formal language (e.g.: BNF) while a processor can be implemented from a description.

Andrei Fangli