Markdown within block-level elements

Sherwood Botsford sgbotsford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 11:18:48 EDT 2014

Part of the argument against new Mark* packages is the further
fragmentation of the MD niche.

And this potentially breaks things when Flavour A is replaced with New
Improved Flavour B.

What if there is a configuration file that makes new implementations bug
compatible with The Original Markdown?

Now what happens:

1.  A package can be called Markdown Compatible if, with the choice of a
suitable config file it can produce the same results as the Original
Markdown.  This file should be provided by the implementor.

2.  A package can be called Common Mark Compatible, if , with the choice of
a suitable config file it can produce the standard Common Mark test
results. Also should be provided.

3.  A package owner could claim Common Mark compatible (Or MD compatible)
except for Foo.

4.  If there is a consensus of how to manage change, then periodically we
have Common Mark YEAR with a new standard of what it means to be Common
Mark compatible.

In this way new features can be created by those who need them but for a
new feature for anything that wants to be MD or CM compatible there is a
three value config item that can enforce CM, MD or My Special New Heart's
Desire.

Fortran was a mess for years.  Every compiler maker added features and
options, and we had galloping featuritis.  (No creeping...)  With Fortran
77 and later Fortran 95(?) standards were hammered out as to how the
language should behave.

I see being MD compatible as the equivalent of F77, and Common Mark being
the later F95

Respectfully,

Sherwood of Sherwood's Forests

Sherwood Botsford