Source code highlighting in Markdown (currently Multimarkdown)

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Tue Sep 23 08:43:22 EDT 2014

I'm using a script to convert a set of markdown files to static web
sites - sites for various courses I'm teaching. This script uses
multimarkdown to do the actual conversion.

Since I mostly teach various programming courses I would like to have
syntax highlighting of the source code I present.

What is the best way to do this?

I'm producing sites that is either:

+ Static webpages where I can decide everything (almost)
+ HTML that is included in a CMS where I have very very very very
little control of how things should be displayed. I can basically
enter HTML code in a field and hope that it turns out OK

What recommendations do have for doing this?

I can for example see that multimarkdown uses fenced code blocks that
assumes that I have the ability to use a javascript library to do the
actual syntax hightlighting. Which would work in the first case but
probably not in the second.