Proposal for (source-side) hyphenation support

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 12:57:41 EDT 2017

Hi there,

don't know if this has been discussed before, or if I just overlooked
how to do it: I'm missing support for hyphenation in Markdown files.
Looking at always ragged HTML pages is already hard enough, so I can't
bear anything but halfway justified text in my editor and manually hy-
phenate words.

I would do it as follows: 1. If a hyphen followed by a single new-line
character is encountered "-\n[^\n]", drop the hyphen and any following
whitespace. 2. In case you have to break a word that includes a hyphen,
you would escape the new-line character "-\\\n". Like this: Escape new-\
line character to preserve the hyphen. This way, the hyphen wouldn't
occur in front of the new-line char and 1. doesn't apply. Although, any
whitespace following the new-line char would also have to be dropped in
this case.

What do you think?

Regards,
Nico