a case for native bounding asterisk support

Wayne Brissette wbrisett at att.net
Thu Jun 4 04:43:54 EDT 2020

Allan Odgaard wrote on 2020-06-03 21:47:
> nMark needed?”.
>
> In short, it mentions how there were/are many diverging
> implementations of markdown, and they are trying to make one universal
> standard, they have been at it for five years, and yet we still do not
> have a standard that all implementations conform to.

Not really their fault to be fair. The issue is while they have tried to
come out with a standard, a lot of people simply say, "I'll just use MD
and these extensions that do 'x'". And there in lies the issue (along
with Gruber himself who didn't want a standard and told folks to make
their own if they didn't like what he came up with).

I like that the DITA community said, we have a standard, we need a
standard if we're going to do anything with markdown, so they went with
CommonMark. But this isn't the case many times because people have
implemented things and don't want to change them now.

-Wayne