[N&W] N&W Mailing List - Re: 1218

Mon May 3 21:12:00 EDT 2004

At 08:07 AM 10/29/98 EST, Jim Davis wrote:
 >Ron,
 >
 >I'm curious, when NS closed down the steam operations in B'ham, I understand
 >1218 was there "in pieces".  Was it ever put back together for static
display?
 >I thought I read somewhere it was eventually going back to Roanoke.
 >
 >I was only on one the A's excursions (between Bristol and Radford).  The
 >memory of that whistle still gives me goosebumps.
 >
 >Regards,
 >
 >Jim

----------------------
Jim,

A neighbor of mine who works for NS mentioned that he just saw the 1218
stored in the paint shop in Roanoke. This despite rumors that it had been
scrapped by NS. He noted the number plate was missing from the smokebox but
otherwise it appeared to be intact.

The 1218 was in the midst of a major boiler overhaul when the NS steam
program was terminated. It is not anywhere near running condition. The rods
were even removed for its trip to Roanoke from Birmingham.

NS has not decided whether to send it to Steamtown up in Pennsylvania, or
donate it to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke where it can
reside next to the J611. So while NS merges with Conrail, 1218 sits and
waits. At least it's safe and dry.

Ron