[N&W] Re: N&W's Longest Train

Thu May 6 22:43:03 EDT 2004

Regarding N&W's November 15, 1967, 500-car coal train ...

Cindy Bowers writes ...

 >>  What was the date on which the N&W ran the 500 car coal train, setting a
 >>  record for the world's longest freight train?
 >>
 >>  Wasn't there an article published about this in the "Arrow"?  Searching in
 >>  back issues I haven't been able to locate it.

Hi Cindy ... Here's the info on the 500-car coal train which I've collected
and assembled with the help of retired N&W mechanical bossman Clyde Taylor
(see TRAINS, March 1999, "N&W's Mr. Fixit"). There are obvious holes and gaps
in my work here and I hope some of you can fill them. I am not familiar with
an "Arrow" story, but there was an N&W company magazine story (have to check
the date).

Frankly ... I think N&W was in it for the glitz! N&W may have wondered how
long a train it could run every day, but after it ran a train of 200 or 300
cars the N&W long-train-powers-that-be realized they weren't going to make
long trains a habit. Had 300 cars worked, N&W would have run 300-car trains
ever after, but it didn't and I suspect N&W knew right then and there that
long trains were a bust. Those guys probably knew it even earlier, say, at
the 200-car level.

I bet they kept doing bigger trains for the record ... or even the fun of it
... bragging rights (like Southern always bragged about Saluda Grade). If in
fact N&W had been going for the biggest possible number of cars, why would it
have stopped at 500? The 500-car train ran pretty well with only minor
problems. Certainly N&W knew it could have done 550 or 600, probably more. I
think 500 was a magic number ... reach the magic number and no other railroad
will ever come close. N&W did it and the record belonged to N&W. Had N&W
known that at least two other railroads would break that record, perhaps 800
would have been the magic number. I think the N&W pros just were having a
good time. After all, how many 300-car trains did they run after November 15,
1967?

Thanks for any contributions to this base of information.

Bob Loehne
oezbob at aol.com
Winston-Salem, NC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N&W's 500-Car Coal Train

During the early fall of 1967, the Norfolk & Western had been experimenting
with longer and longer coal trains powered in part by mid-train, radio
controlled locomotives.  N&W previously had run several 250-car trains
carrying 24,000 tons of coal and they quickly upped the ante -- 280, 300,
420, 425 (3rd week), and 450 cars. Eventually, on a freezing morning at
Iaeger, WV, they patched together strings of 150, 150, and 200 loaded coal
cars and began setting world railroad records that lasted for almost 22 years.

As the test trains grew successively longer, so too did the length between
the lead locomotive and its remote locos (not helpers ... they were part of
the planned locomotive consist, just separated). Not only was the test to see
how many cars one train could handle, the RR also was looking at how far the
slave radio signals could travel, how reliable they would be if they made it
-- especially considering the several tunnels -- and would the radio control
system in total be as reliable a part of the train as the engines and cars
already had proven to be.

The 500-car train ran in the 4th and final week of testing and met with mixed
results. For sure, it proved that just six locomotives could handle the load
on that essentially flat course (but, of course, everybody with an abacus
could have figured out that). Expecting 500 cars to behave perfectly proved
surprisingly accurate -- 2 cars developed hot brake problems, 2 cars early on
sent false alarms that set off hot box detectors, and one coupler broke on
the restart at Williamson, WV. Except for the coupler, the cars worked great
and it was the support systems that proved frail.

Towards the end of the day, intermittent losses of slave radio signal had an
effect on brake line pressure, which was believed to be the cause of the two
hot brake car problems. The hot brakes in turn began setting off hot box
detectors, but crews were aware of the situation and they nursed it the
remaining short distance to Portsmouth. This train got away without major
incident, but had it been forced to stop in a track segment with road
crossings, the super long train would have tied up all cross traffic for more
than 4 miles.

The broken coupler occurred in the Williamson Yard and, thus, did not block
any streets. Clyde Taylor was the General Foreman - Mechanical at Williamson
and oversaw the hasty coupler change. Clyde shared this story along with many
other of his engrossing railroad experiences. One interesting aspect of the
500-car train was one of N&W's contingency measures.

Taylor and a few other RR officials drew up plans to cope with a variety of
emergencies, of which the response scenario to a drastically failed hopper
car was particularly swift and dramatic. On command, a car knocker was to
bang open the hopper doors. A front end tractor would then lift the emptying
car out of the way. A bulldozer was to push the coal off the track. The train
would back up, recouple, and be on its way as soon as possible. I figured N&W
felt the black diamonds were cheap -- on the other hand, a blocked mainline
and N&W pride were both expensive. The maneuver was expected to take less
than two minutes once equipment arrived at the scene. Clyde thought they
could do it in one minute if there was enough space to easily maneuver the
front end loader and bulldozer.

NOTE 1:   In August 26-27, 1989, the South African Transport Services ran a
train 7.3 KM long (4.53 miles), carrying 70,800 tons of iron ore, with 16
locomotives (9 electric and 7 diesel powered) pulling 660 cars. For what it
is worth, this probably was a test, because at most only 7 locomotives were
ever used at one time.

NOTE 2:    Then, on May 28, 1996, Australia got the tonnage record over 408
KM with ten GE Dash-8s pulling 540 wagonloads (Train Length: 5,892 meters or
3.7 miles) of ore an average 35 MPH. The load was 57,309 tons of ore and
72,191 tonnes of train. This train was a test of Harris Locotrol and had 3
locos, 135 cars, 2 locos, 135 cars, 2 locos, 135 cars, 2 locos, 135 cars, and
one loco on the rear.

COMMENT:    These long and heavy trains likewise appear to be railroad public
relations deals because even tho all three RRs called their long train tests
successful, none of them ran or planned to run such long trains in regular
service. The normal Australian trains will be 240 wagonloads.

THE LOWDOWN ON THE NUMBERS

Here's the rundown of facts and figures covering the N&W 500-car train: