[N&W] Re: Double Stacks on the Pocahontas Division

Thu May 6 21:43:11 EDT 2004

Gordon--

Like the rest of the N&W, I guess we better get pics of the tunnels while
we can!

Bucky Wilson
I have recently heard, but have not confirmed, that NS is already working
on an intermodal yard or facility near Lockbourne, Ohio on the old Columbus
District.  Lockbourne is about six miles south of Watkins Yard.  Certainly
the Watkins Yard Intermodal yard south of Columbus is a very busy place
these days.

G Rolih Cincinnati
Everything about this project is excellent except one point: building a ramp
a Prichard, WV. The ramp absolutely must be at Kenova, WV so that you have a
joint service facility serving NS and CSX for competitive purposes. AND
THERE IS LAND FOR SUCH A VENTURE THAT LIES BETWEEN BOTH ROADS !!!!  Next to
Hammer Lumber Co and it is served by both roads.

CSX wants to shove their involvement up river to north of Huntington to
avoid NS and now NS will push to Prichard 10 miles up the Big Sandy River to
avoid a competitive interface. And the public is the big loser. NO WAY !!!

Oakie G Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 11:09 PM
Subject: Double Stacks on the Pocahontas Division

 > Some recent Mail List questions have addressed the routes of double stack
 > intermodal trains through Roanoke, and replies have pointed out how the
 > numerous relatively low tunnels on the former N & W Pocahontas Division
 > prohibit the operation of double stacks there.
 >
 > Mail List subscribers may be interested in the following article from the
 > current issue of Progressive Railroading about plans to remedy the problem
 > on the Pocahontas Division.
 >
 > Gordon Hamilton
 >

 > HEARTLAND CORRIDOR
 >
 > The planners of a $266 million, three-state intermodal corridor will meet
 > sometime this month to discuss the project. Norfolk Southern Railway, the
 > Kanawha Valley Local Port District, West Virginia Public Port Authority,
 > Ohio Rail Development Commission, Ohio Department of Transportation and
 > Virginia Port Authority plan to build the "Heartland Corridor," a
dedicated
 > double-stack container line between Norfolk, Va., ports and Columbus,
Ohio.