[N&W] Old Stories

Tue May 25 16:54:55 EDT 2004

I really want to hear old engineer and construction floor stories.  I really
liked the Ed King approach to understanding the N&W in the 30's with pictures
of the engineering & Design staff and stories of each ones expertise.  Gurdon
McGavock and the Piltchers come to mind.  McGavock was one of the first
Ergonomics experts - even before THAT name for it.   The cleverness,  and
direction of the RR is really the story.  No other RR optimized the road to
match the engines+train for max efficientcy.  even the addition of the A
tanks shows this.  what were the thought processes?  What failures - and were
they instructive? (A class valve gear tests)

[Mark Lindsey]