[N&W] Re: What if?...

Tue May 25 22:38:02 EDT 2004

A dissertation such as this deserves a better future than being simply
deleted in the due course of mail management.  This is interesting stuff that
should be saved for those future members who are familiar with steam only
through books, videos and static displays of locomotives and cars.

It won't be too many years before the people who really know this stuff will
no longer be around.  A wonderful resource will be gone.  I hope that we are
making every possible effort to tap into that knowledge and then retain the
information in a permanent form for the future.

C. H. Chamberlayne
A good description of Franklin and the poppet valves can be found in Vernon
K. Smith's autobiography "Locomotives in My Life" ( I hope I got that
right!) now out of print.  Smith worked for Franklin during the
introduction of the product.  Note that the C&O put the poppet valve gear
on a some of their 4-6-4's in the much simplified worm drive version.

The original Franklin design as used by PRR used a complex gearbox and cam
system mounted to the front of the engine.  The system wasn't very
accessible for maintenance and required special maintenance training to set
the system up correctly.  This design had a lot of parts and was costly to
manufacture.  The later worm drive design required ( by eye-ball estimate)
about 75% less parts and was accessible as it was mounted off of the
drivers as previous valve gears were.  But, it was "too little- too late"
to make any difference in the impending obsolescence of steam.

Gary Rolih
Nathan,

      Let me add my two cents to what Ed King wrote 11/13/00.  My comments
will be of a more general nature, indicating what poppet valves could do if
the downside issues could have been successfully addressed.  As he points
out, it may have been difficult to realize any benefits, given the
characteristics of individual engines and their service applications.

      One of the best sources of general information on poppet valve
locomotives and what improvements could be expected can be found in Vernon
Smith's book One Man's Locomotives, Trans Anglo Books, 1987, pgs 61-85 and
pgs 100-104.  It contains his personal experiences and opinions regarding
the application of poppet valves to many different locomotives.

      Keep in mind that the most spectacular gains in performance and
drawbar horsepower (sometimes exceeding 25%) were generally on older
locomotives that were rebuilt to varying degrees and equipped with poppet
valves.  The PRR K4 Ed mentioned (#5399 in particular) is a good example of
this.  The huge increases could not be reasonably expected with more modern
power.  The only "apples to apples" comparison that I know of which
documents the effects of poppet valves on a modern locomotive is found in
the NYC Niagara tests.  The major difference between no. 6023, a
conventional Baker valve gear equipped 4-8-4 and no. 5500, a poppet valve
version on the same locomotive, was a 15% savings in steam usage at similar
power output.  There were extenuating circumstances to the tests, however.
There is the possibility that the valves were not properly sized, and could
not handle the full boiler capacity of the Niagaras. Consequently, the only
conclusive part of the test was the savings in steam usage at the same DHP
output, because 5500 was unable to reach significantly higher DHP than the
conventional 6023.  The 15% figure is also similar to that mentioned by Mr.
Smith in his book, where refers to the improved performance of ATSF 4-8-4
no. 3752 after rebuilding with poppet valves in 1948.

      Regarding the N&W A, any attempt to obtain additional DHP output would
probably have been misplaced, due to the reasons Ed gave.  Further, any
increase in DHP output would mean increased stress on the machinery,
causing increased maintenance costs.  From everything I've read, the A was
a high-stress design to begin with.  N&W did not "throw iron at the
problem" in order to beef up the engine.  If you want an example of a lean,
mean machine, the A is it.  And its full capacity was used, frequently for
hours on end. Because of this high output operation, conditions were
favorable for savings theoretically possible through the use of poppet
valves, stress on the word theoretical.  Maybe N&W could have used them to
reduce the fuel and water requirements at the same DHP, thereby increasing
boiler efficiency through reduced firing and evaporation rates.  Maybe they
could have used slightly smaller cylinders to eliminate some of the
potential for adhesion problems.  But there would have been the first cost
of the modifications to contend with, additional mechanical complexity in
the valves, potential drafting problems.....  Who can say.  Would it have
been worthwhile economically?  Probably not.

      Don't get me wrong.  Poppet valves have definite advantages if
properly applied.  Elsewhere in the world, poppets were used successfully,
but always on engines smaller than ours and in service conditions far
different from ours.  In this country, poppets were probably too much
gadgetry, too late in the game.  There was no time left to work out the
bugs.  PRR succeeded in getting many of them out of its T1s through late
modifications.  But IMHO, N&W took the right approach by sticking with
mechanical simplicity and sophisticated operation to move its traffic.

      I also want to give some perspective to the T1 tests on the N&W,
particularly on Christiansburg Mtn.  The two engines involved were N&W 604
and PRR 5511.  Several tests were run, with train weights of 1,003, 1,220,
1,440 and 1,758 tons.  For ease of comparison, I'll use starting tractive
effort (TE) for each locomotive as a basis of comparison, because at low
speeds (0 to 15 mph or so), TE doesn't fall off too much.  During the
tests, 604 handled a maximum load of 1,758 tons.  Since a J had a TE of
80,000 lbs, it was moving about 21.9 trailing tons per 1,000 lbs. of
tractive effort.  In the case of the T1, the tests were run after #5511 was
modified with 18¾" cylinders, so its TE would have been about 58,000 lbs.,
considerably less than 604.  With a trailing weight of 1,220 tons, the 5511
pulled 21.0 tons per 1,000 lbs. TE, just about the same as 604 handled
successfully.  So, the two locomotives performed on an equivalent basis, if
you consider trailing tons per lb. TE. At 1,440 tons, a load that stalled
the Tl, 5511 was trying to manage 24.8 tons per 1,000 lbs. TE, a
significantly higher proportional load than 604 handled during the tests.
If 604 were similarly loaded, it would have had to pull 1,984 tons up
C-burg Mtn.  Possible?

      With a little imagination (and a selection of videotapes), we can
experience part of these tests today, at least as far as 604 is concerned.
During the 1987 NRHS convention in Roanoke, #611 pulled 23 cars up
Christiansburg grade at about 15 to 20 mph on dry rail with sand, and
appeared to be working near full capacity at about the limit of adhesion.
If the average weight per car were the same as the 1948 tests, #611 was
dragging 1,771 tons up the grade, approximately duplicating sister 604's
performance with 1,758 tons.  BTW, these are my estimates.  Is there anyone
out there who confirm weight/speed/capacity information from 1987?

Dave Stephenson
Thanks to Ed King for a thorough dissertation on poppet valves, A's, J's, etc.

Here's some added history re Pennsy's troublesome T-1.  Thought some of the
younger members might be interested.

PRR steam locomotive development went dormant after the period 1910 - 1925,
when the family designs ( classes H, K, L, M, etc.) were designed and
produced.
 From about 1920 to 1935, PRR focused on electrification of the New York -
Washington - Harrisburg triangle.  In doing so, they failed to keep up with
the significant improvement in steam design known as "Super Power".  When PRR
resumed interest in steam, they depended too heavily on their own antiquated
technology and the unproven duplex drive concept advanced by Baldwin.

The presumed advantages of duplex drive were reduced piston thrust, lighter
rods, lessened need for counterbalancing, lessened wear on bearings, etc.
But even in the early T-1 design stage, at least one consultant identified
the disadvantages:
Rigid wheelbase longer ( 3 ft. ) than a conventional 4-8-4; increased valve
maintenance; and potential for drivers slipping at speed.  One suggestion,
rejected by PRR, was for driver sets having different diameters, so that the
two sets would not
rotate in sync.

The published figure for F.A. for the T-1 is 4.3; normally an acceptable
figure for a Northern.  But with divided drive and poppet valves; and no time
to study performance
in service, the T-1 never lived up to the promises.

Jerry Crosson