[N&W] Re: Franklin Furnace - Gennett

Tue May 25 22:40:25 EDT 2004

I will appreciate any help with this where are the photo;s located for this
wreck are there any on the Virginia Tech Pages.

             Thomas McCracken
There was an incident which occurred eight miles
east of Franklin Furnace and eight years prior to the
1940 time frame. On April 21, 1932, No. 4 - Eng 133
entered the west switch of the middle track at Union
at an estimated speed of 50 MPH and overturned,
fouling the westward main track Investigation revealed
that the accident was caused by malicious tampering
with the switch. Oddly enough, the section foreman
had found that the same switch had been tampered
with the previous day. It isn't indicated in the report,
but I believe a postal employee was later arrested
and tried in Portsmouth.

Harry Bundy