[N&W] Va Tech Photo #20

Tue May 25 22:49:09 EDT 2004

Thanks to all who provided input on the last photo.

                        TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PICTURE #20

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS4008.JPG

VT information:  track scene on Galax line

  I find this picture very interesting and this tunnel would be great to
model.  It looks like the railroad was following a nice level shelf along
the river, when BAM, a big nasty ole hill jumped right out in front of it
all the way up to the water s edge.  It wasn t a thick hill as the bore
doesn t look very deep, and I would estimate only fifteen to twenty feet of
rock wall left for the river-side of the tunnel.  What a pain-in-the-butt
from a RR construction point of view, but what a picturesque scene from a
rail fan view.

  ***Prominent in the foreground is a device that I have a couple questions
about.  I believe it to be a height/clearance gauge, but I can t figure out
exactly how it is supposed to have worked.***

  Well, I was able to answer my own question when my May Model Railroader
showed up with an article on telltales.  It seems these devices were to
warn brakemen to hit the deck or risk being knocked off the train by a
bridge, or as in this case, a tunnel portal.  This may help us narrow down
the possible range of dates for this picture.  The rope fringes seem to be
in fine shape in the photo.  I don t know exactly, but wouldn t think it
would take too many years of weathering to rot a dangling bit of rope, so I
would assume the device is still being maintained at the time it got its
beauty struck.  That would imply that brakemen were still walking the tops
of cars at that point.  The first box cars I can find without full-length
ladders and roof walks were delivered in 1966, but I suspect that the
practice of having brakemen walk the roofs would have been discontinued
before then.  Does anyone know exactly when this practice ended?  That
would put a no-later-than date on our shot.

Can somebody familiar with this area pinpoint the location for us?

Thanks,

Jim Cochran