[N&W] Re: Va Tech Photo #20

Tue May 25 22:49:25 EDT 2004

  I don't know the area well enough to say yeah or nay, but these three
pictures don't seem to be the same place to me.

The Post card, presumably the oldest view has telegraph poles, as
does the recent color shot. No Telegraph in the archive photo.

Also, looking through the bore, the tell-tale base is different.
And only the archive photo has guard rail rerailer in the bore.

Tom Cosgrove
Jim,

I do not think these are the same tunnel, though they are similar.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS4008.JPG
http://www.nwhs.org/qna/photos/stennet04.JPG

Two items catch my attention.

(1) To the upper left of the tunnel there is actually MORE rock in the more
recent photo than the later photo. Rock does not grow THAT fast.

(2) The ridge curving around to the left behind the Wasp Rock Tunnel is
absent in the N&W photo.

Comments, disagreements?

Ron Davis